Police say an 8-year-old girl was knocking on doors for candy in the Promenade area of Hercules and came home with a .1 gram bag of crystal methamphetamine. The powder was in a small zip-locked bag that her parents found after their daughter returned home.
Hercules police Sgt. Ezra Tafesse said, “This could have been intentional or it could have been accidental and we won’t know until we speak with the person who did this.”
Tafesse continued, “more than anything, we want to educate the public to inspect their children’s candy before giving it to them.”
The fear of Halloween candy tampering had been around for a long time. I was surprised to learn that there have been no documented cases of strangers poisoning candy. A couple tragic cases turn out to be parents or family members intentionally poisoning their children’s candy and blaming it on strangers.
Although there haven’t been documented cases of strangers poisoning candy, there have been many cases of pins, needles, and razor blades found in Halloween candy.
A child bringing home drugs instead of candy can be fatal. If ingested, methamphetamine pumps up the heart rate, blood pressure, and breathing. It can also cause sweating, headaches, irregular heartbeats, blurred vision, hot flashes, and dizziness.
If a high dose is ingested, it can cause dangerously high body temperatures, convulsions, confusion, and death.
It’s always a good idea to check your kid’s candy before letting them eat anything. Most days of the year, taking candy from strangers is a big taboo, but since Halloween is the exception, making sure our kids are safe is top priority.
Many times people under the influence of drugs or alcohol do things they would not normally do if sober. If you are struggling with addiction, there are many wonderful drug and alcohol treatment centers that offer help. Walking down the road to recovery is a life-changing and wonderful journey. Living a life of long-term sobriety is the best choice you can ever make.